Sunday, June 5, 2011 By: Wwoofergirl

Sunday, June 5

So when it comes to small backyards, I am the master of landscape design.
I'm also (obviously) the master of modesty.
But seriously, I'm proud of what I did today. I designed and laid the backyard pathway with a fun pattern of marble chunks, red rock, and river stones. I also weeded, leveled, and then stair-stepped a big section of the backyard slope. Then I designed/laid a platform of stones, from which one can enjoy the spectacular view. 
Not gonna lie, it looks really good. My fingernails will probably never be clean again.
Oh, I also used a power drill to take screws out of the stairs. It was a tiny undertaking compared with the backyard, but it did make me feel like Rosie the Riveter, so I put on a bandana to heighten the effect. :)
Hearing Beth's life story is fascinating. She's been in dozens of radical protests-- today she told me about marching to end the war in Vietnam. She said that it wasn't the marchers who ended the war, but the soldiers themselves, by refusing suicide missions (read: fragging) and speaking out when they were home.
Nevertheless, it's amazing to talk to someone who was actually there.

We go up to the ranch tomorrow, so this is my last real-time post for a while. I'll work on uploading some pictures tomorrow morning. I may have to do a flickr account-- I'll link it here on my page.

Talk to you later, penpals!
<3


1 comments:

The Compost Club at Sarah Lawrence College said...

Nice stories you've got here! Looks like you have quite a bit of motivation between maintaining a garden at SLC and now this blog. I'd like to see how this blog turns out in the next few months. Looking forward to those pics!!!

Post a Comment