Saturday, June 25, 2011 By: Wwoofergirl

June 25

Success!
Carmelita, our stubborn but beautiful mustang mare, has worms. But of course, she didn't want to take the medicine. Beth mixed it up into some water with a lot of molasses and honey, but she still wouldn't take it. So Beth decided to put her into a paddock, take out the water trough, and feed her nice dry hay until she was thirsty enough to drink basically anything.
She still wouldn't take it from Beth last night, or this morning. Beth went to the store and I went out to start working in the garden, and Carmelita whinnied at me, so I went over to see her. I decided to try offering her the medicine water... she balked a little, but finally drank it!!! I gave her lots of treats and fresh water after. I wanted to pet her, but she's still skittish. Maybe next time. Anyway, Beth is now calling me the Queen of Horses, but I think I just happened to be there when she was finally thirsty enough.
Either way, we are finally going to have two healthy horses! :D

I also got my Eastern US plant book in, and I am really really excited. I've been studying like mad already and I can't wait to get back to NY so I can actually go looking...

0 comments:

Post a Comment